Friday, November 19, 2010

Race Fever

So, I've been debating for about a week about signing up for the Decker Challenge Half Marathon in December. As a trainee for my second half marathon in January and my first full marathon in February, I keep thinking, "Shouldn't I? It's just another $60 and I have to run 12 or 13 miles that weekend anyways - so why not?! " Yet, it is another $60 to spend, another early morning, and another bit of fear (which I'll get into a different time). So… I can't make up my mind.

When I started running, it was about accomplishing a goal - tracking my time, motivating myself to keep running, and a goal outside of work. The first training plan (10K) was systematic. I admit that by itself was addicting. This is what I love about running - it's a process. During a run, my mind clears in a way nothing else can. I hit mile after mile, and I feel like I've accomplished something every *step* of the way. (Ok - sounds cheesy but it's true!) At the end, my adrenaline flows, and I walk around on this high of accomplishment.

The first race? Capital 10K. I ran it so much faster than I predicted - the people shouting along the way - the music edging me on - mile after mile. My parents and friends met me at the finish line, and I honestly felt like I could conquer the world. I was hooked with race fever. And now, 6 races later, I love races even more. They keep going in a way that running by itself doesn't. I break my own records, and I'm reminded how much I've accomplished with a few extra squats or some "insane" workout regime.

1 comment:

  1. You have described my feeling for racing to a T! I couldn't agree with you more. I've only got two races under my belt (Uptown Classic 10k and RnR Half Marathon in San Antonio), but I'm totally hooked. I like the process, the achievement and the exhilaration from the completion. Yes, I'm officially a runner.

    ReplyDelete