Monday, December 27, 2010

The Power of Your Beliefs

When I was with my ex-boyfriend, years ago, I remember I used to talk and dream about figuring out what I wanted to do. I would always list out what my limitations were first because that was always at the top of my list. I’ve been, in some sense, programmed to think that way. He used to always stop me, and say, “You know – you’re the only person who is stopping yourself from doing any of it. If you keep saying you can’t, then you right – you can’t. But if you believe you can – you will do it.” Ok – so maybe it didn’t sound quite so eloquent – and it usually ended in some kind of exasperation, but that was the gist.

The thing is that I have been remembering that a lot lately – what I can and cannot do. And the thing is, I can do anything. I’m not trying to sound egotistical here, but I do believe that anyone can do anything that they put their mind to. My list of what I can do keeps growing, while my list of “cannots” keeps shrinking. If you believe in yourself enough, you can take that first step into anything. 

I keep waiting for a sign from up above – as if there is going to be this perfect moment that will enlighten me and make me do whatever it is I’m going to do with my life. I’m coming to realize that it’s not about a moment that someone picks for me anymore – it’s about what I pick for myself. It’s not about timelines – ones that I keep assigning to myself – it’s about picking a moment when I’m ready to take that “leap of faith.”
And to anyone reading this – what are you saying that you can or cannot do? Are you selling yourself short? Shouldn’t you be thinking of what you can do because you can and not because you cannot? It’s just a step – a small step that you can do even if it feels like the world is working against you – that maybe it’s not the smartest thing you’ve ever done but who is really judging you? Only you. 

So I leave you with this thought – Believe that you can because the only thing that’s stopping you is … You. It doesn’t matter how hard, or how sad, or how uncertain – you’ve got to do what you need to do for you. Because after all, ultimately, if you don’t take care of you, who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment