Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Right Balance?

No one ever wants to admit that they take something for granted. No one likes to be taken for granted. Reality? We all take things for granted. We are all taken for granted at some point. We’re all guilty – and it’s just something to think about... and how does that impact your life or actions.
I know I have moments in my life when I feel overwhelmed. I care about everyone – I want everyone to be “happy.” I always want to be available to everyone to listen, comfort, help, support or do whatever it takes to *be there* – this is my caretaker mode. I’m often that go-to person for many – or I’d like to believe that I am. But then there is the opposite side when I sometimes just want to take care of *me,* and not have to worry about everyone else. I feel drained and need to go into repair or maintenance – this is me mode. I pull, push, stand my ground, and isolate. I make fun of myself for becoming somewhat of a hermit.   
It’s all a cycle though… I suddenly wake up out of me mode and feel horribly guilty and dive right back into caretaker mode. I woke up recently and realized – goodness – I’ve been in me mode a lot lately. I felt guilty. Add to that this feeling that I wonder how much I’ve taken for granted so many people around me that I care for dearly, who in the last year or so, have taken care of me. I felt even worse.
However, upon some reflection, there’s a lesson in it for me – for all. Sometimes, life is a give and take. I can’t always give, and I can’t always take. There’s a balance, and sometimes our lives force us to be off balance. What’s important to me is that I recognize that I love so many of those near and dear, and I hope that they know that I’m still here – even when sometimes I have to take a time-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment